Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Norwich Glimpses

Now that some things are done, I can now write a blogpost! My hands itched to type all through the time I've been here without proper internet connection. I haven't been taking a lot of photos lately because of the paperwork I'm obligated to do, but here are some shots of Norwich city centre.

It's very beautiful here. We were told that Norwich used to be second to London in terms of size and importance of trade (in wool) during medieval times. During the 19th century, it lost out and so not a lot of olden day architecture were demolished. It feels like an old English town caught in a time warp.

Norwich market place
I haven't walked by the market place yet, or done any walking for that matter. I had three awfully heavy grocery bags slicing my palms with their nasty plastic handles. I'll pay a proper visit next time. At least, even if I need some shopping done, I'll bring a lighter bag. It's the fifth best place to shop in the UK after all.
Norwich cathedral
The cathedral is a major landmark aside from the castle and churches. I think it should look lovely on the inside as well but that would be for another day.
Random Street
There are a lot of quaint little streets too. I bought a Sim card from that phone shop up there. I have to figure out how the Pay-As-You-Go works before I've an official phone number abroad.

The university has an open campus and it is huge. I'm getting used to the layout now, but there are still certain times when I find myself going around in circles. Going to the university by foot is not bad, very refreshing; walking back to the accommodation isn't. Especially since it's been raining since I've arrived. The wind blows towards me as I walk back..

Other than that, my room is still a little messy and my flatmates are nice people to be with. Culture shock is inevitable but everyone has been very considerate. I like all seven of them and I love it here. The verdict: I can survive here for three years for sure.

I'm going to need to find Malaysian food though. I'm craving Char Kuey Teow. And Chicken Rice. And Nasi Kandar.

No comments:

Post a Comment