Friday, September 17, 2010

'Important Information'

"I want to tell you something important about going overseas." His face turned sombre. "To warn you."

That was the start of a conversation we had several months back. A prolonged silence ensued, leaving my thoughts taking wild guesses as to what it could be. No overspending? No shopping too much? Time management?

"OK... warn me." I said.

"Most girls, when they go overseas..." he paused. "...gain weight."

I quickly tapped the wooden table.

That's what my father said. He even stressed that cold weather makes people eat more and hide themselves in the warmth of their room without going anywhere.

But that view is subjective!! I'm vowing to be on my best dietary behaviour when I leave for university.

For now, however, I'm indulging in Malaysian food (or the more suitable term would be Asian food). I know I'll miss them sooner or later. If there's one thing Malaysians would agree on, it would be that we all love food. I realised that when meeting up means going to a restaurant for lunch or dinner or even desserts and when "Have you eaten?" in various languages is a common greeting.

Yesterday it was Korean; on several occasions it was Japanese; eating out would mean hawker stall favourites. And of course, home cooked meals are ranked the highest.

Suddenly everything tastes extra delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment