Thursday, October 14, 2010

Robin

"Oh look, look!" My friend pulled me to the side and pointed at a bicycle stand. Perched on it was a brown bird with red plumage. "It's a robin." She said, "That means winter is coming."

I don't need a robin to inform me that winter is coming. I can feel it. Everybody can feel it. The evenings are chillier than usual; even my flatmates who are locals agree. Since three days ago the temperature seems to be dropping bit by bit; each time somewhat faster than I can adapt to the weather.

This is not my photo: Found it on Google.

I'm slightly pleased by the fact that it has not been raining so much, with occasional sunshine in the morning.

"Oh my, this year's winter is expected to be as bad as last year's." One of my flatmates told me as he read through the newspaper.

"So did you come here to experience the coldest winter ever, Rachael?" Another asked.

I thanked them for such 'comforting' news although it is scary to imagine myself locked up in my room with ten layers on me as I read a book beside the heater. If this is utterly freezing for me now then December would be hell (I'm using this because the paradox is amusing). The idea of a White Christmas is exciting (I can soon sing my favourite Christmas carol and mean it) but I certainly did not come to get frostbites.

Also, I used to feel a little sad that my flatmates would all probably go home for the Christmas holidays while I remain in Norwich. Now I'm certain that there are students who share my plight - I've met up with a bunch of Malaysians for an Asian dinner, most of which would be lingering around the area come winter.

Anyway, for my sake, it's probably best if I stop talking about the weather now since I'll be walking out the door soon.

PS. I've looked up on the 'robin' on the internet and it turns out that robins are around all year so the fact above might not be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment