Tuesday, October 26, 2010

'Like a Virgin'

I didn't know what I was doing when I signed up for the 'Like a Virgin' Open Mic Event. I'm not the sort to speak before a room of unfamiliar faces. The silence while I do so in front of an audience meddles with my mind sometimes; it makes me imagine that people are judging. Probably from a not-so-good experience I once had in high school (I didn't like my English teacher that year).

Anyway, I wasn't part of the first ten people who signed up, but my name was one of the five that was pulled out from the hat after the closing date. I wanted to write a poem for it but with the amount of work I had over the weekend, an old poem of mine seemed good enough.

My flatmates asked me to practice once before them, which was very nice (Did I mention that I love being in this flat?). I had a nervous smile on my face as I walked towards the Grad Bar.

On the way I bumped into other Creative Writing members who told me a 'teeny-weeny' thing that I didn't see on the event page online - we have ten minutes each. Ten! One poem would not cut it unless it is an epic poem. Thank goodness I had my book of poems with me! I was going to leave it behind at first but brought it for no apparent reason. Luck, maybe? 

The waiting was the scariest bit. Plus, the performers were really good. There was a lot of poetry, some prose, even singing. I remember trying to calm myself down as Amanda (we met in the society) tried to convince me that it will be alright.

Eleven people later, it was my turn. It felt like a short time although I was later told that the timing was alright and the pace was okay - I didn't speed up with anxiety or anything. Four poems, and I think it went well. The mic was in place, the faces staring at me were relaxed and the atmosphere was casual.

In the end, I recited Take One Thing Past the Pearly Gates, Why Won't You Tell Him That You Care, No Roses For Her and Fate's Coin. You can tell that most of the time, coming up with impressive titles is not for me.

After that I felt much better. In fact, it was great! I might sign up for the next one in November if I pluck up my courage once again. By then, I'm no virgin in open mic events no more.
This is NOT St Andrews Hall. :) It's St Giles Street, I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment