Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fire Alarm!

First thing our lecturer asked us in our introductory lecture yesterday was this: "If someone asks you what the first thing that happened to you this morning is, what would you say?" It had something to do with context but that's not the point.

So WHAT happened first thing this morning?

The fire alarm went off. Not an unusual thing actually, because other accommodation have had their alarms blaring at them several times a week. That was how some people, unfortunately, first got to know their flatmates. In their pajamas and sleeping gowns, with hair frizzled and eyes drooped. Let's not forget that it is pretty cold here.

Thank goodness that was not the case for me.

Anyway, we stumbled out of bed the moment that alarm went off. At least we know that it works, and works well too. My first thought was, "Who didn't close their bathroom door when showering?!!" since we were warned that steam can set it off.

Residents of two houses were forced out of their beds onto the cold village street, all tired and definitely not at our best. Many must have been far away in Nod Land. Many just ran out in whatever they had on. I pity those who weren't in long trousers as even I was shivering. We're lucky it wasn't raining!

I think it's meant to be a fire drill. We were all out quickly, I suppose. And just as quickly, we raced back into the warmth of our flats.

My clock was set to 9am, an hour earlier than when it happened. This works as a wake up call too, since I can't go back to sleep, which is why I have time to sit here and update this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment