Friday, April 10, 2009

World Health Day 2009

Being part of a unit gives you that warm feeling inside, doesn't it? I agree because it did this entire day.

Anyway, today was World Health Day 2009 for our college! Yes if you do check the web the actual date is on the 7th but the purpose is the same.

Just for a little background, WHD is the day the World Health Organization was founded and serves to raise awareness regarding a subject important to global health. This year’s theme is “Health Facilities in Emergencies”. Why? Because they realised that some health services are severely destroyed when disasters like earthquakes hit a country, worsening such situations. Hence the goal aims to prepare more health facilities for emergencies and increase their safety capacities.


Since its such a huge event for the United Nations Club, it's been planned frantically over the past few months! Promoting it was a challenge, and I'm part of the publicity team!! The merchandise section too, which reminds me, the stress balls, after being decorated to look like a head, actually sold out. The badges were adorable too, especially the one pinned on my shirt right now. *Grins*

Then again, I was on duty so run, my feet, run onto the bus and back again, just to make it to every event. The talk by IMU's Professor Yadav on 'How to Handle Emergency Situations' gave us one interesting hour thanks to his wit.

Then there was the blood donation drive right outside. Frankly, I wish the email had gotten to me earlier and I could have given it a shot. Thinking back again however, I guess it was time for me to rush off to check the other events.

All of a sudden a flashback hit me when I passed this booth --- During the last UN meeting, the head of the blood donation department cried amidst the roaring crowd, "Apart from the blood donation, you guys can visit the organ donation booth..."

Pin drop silence.

"Of course, you're not expected to cut your ear off on the spot...it's to sign up as a donor."

The volume turned up right after that.

What's a celebration without games? Well, the response was not that good, but it was fun to watch their wild sides unravel.

Group photo with Secretary General.

Four Leaf Clover Animated Divider from FLMNetwork.com


Quote of the Day:

"You know what...I think I should donate my organ."

" You should if you know what you want."

"But the problem is...all I have at home is a piano."

I felt a chilly breeze brush across my face.

Sigh. I told you puns will find its way here.



No comments:

Post a Comment