Sunday, January 23, 2011

La Belle Au Bois Dormant

I first knew Sleeping Beauty as Princess Aurora in the Disney film, and I wasn't impressed by this princess. All she did was prick her finger as was predicted, fell into a sleep and had no control as to whom she kissed.

Of course, Disney allowed the couple to meet and fall in love before the kiss, which gave it the sentimental Earlier versions, such as the original fairytale by Charles Perrault, are not as such. Poor Sleeping Beauty back then bumped into a prince I would have smacked and charged at court.

Nevertheless, the more popular version lies in the tale by the Brother's Grimm, where the princess falls asleep for 100 years before meeting her prince. Regardless of how I view the protagonist, the storyline of Sleeping Beauty is honestly such a timeless classic it's hard not to get caught in the romantic world.

Last Friday, Keb and I went to the Theatre Royal in the city centre to watch the story unfold itself in the form of ballet. Accompanying it was Tchaikovsky's beautiful fairytale-like orchestral arrangement. Some of the music from Tchaikovsky's ballet were adapted for the movie, the most prominent one (we gave each other glances of acknowledgement during the Waltz) being 'Once Upon a Dream'.

It's one of the several ballets performed by the St. Petersburg Ballet Theatre. They come to UK annually with a line of wonderful Russian ballet dancers who have been trained so much they can make any minute wobble (though hardly any) look intentional.

All in all, it was both an exciting and extremely nostalgic first time for me. In fact, I quite like going to the theatre now! I should go for another one sometime, getting myself immersed in yet another story that comes to life on stage.

I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream
I know you, the gleam in your eyes is so familiar a-gleam
Yet I know it's true that visions are seldom all they seem
But if I know you, I know what you do,
You'll love me at once, the way you did once upon a dream
~Disney's 'Once Upon a Dream'~

No comments:

Post a Comment