Monday, December 8, 2008

BRRUMM... BRUMM...

"Turn all the way... All the way..."

I don't like that part.

"Slow down! Slow down!"

Okay, okay, slower...got it.

"Don't step on the accelerator when you change the gear..."

Pa decided that it was about time I sat before the wheel, and was determined to teach me. This, in every way, was something I thought little of. Fear...it was leaking out my ears and nose.

He drove me to this part of the 'kampung baru' for the trial, which I suppose was the same one my cousins were given their hands-on lessons as well.

As we made our way there, he taught me the supposed 'tricks and trades' of a manual vehicle.

One thing amazing is that it seems like the perfect place --- straight roads, turning roads, a roundabout, all sorts of junctions, and dead ends. It's a school all by itself. And oh, we haven't come to the best part...

It remoteness makes it almost empty,which is great for first times. (in case of accidents)

It was quite an experience. First things first, check for safety, adjust yourself. Then move to first gear, turn the key. Next, step on accelarator("Not so hard/fast!") and release the gear to get going. When the car gives a stressful 'tone', change the gear ("Just the gear, don't step on the accelerator!!"). For the first few round, the accelerator BRRR-ed each time. The car died a few times. And the process starts all over again.

This time, go around the roundabout, turn at junctions, keep to the left side of the road (but avoid cow dungs, of course).

"You must keep your eyes on the road, but listen to its sounds, like they're telling you what to do next, and use your instincts." In short, I must treat it like a human.

I got the hang of a few things after a while, but my three way turn is still more like a nine way turn. Guess, I'll need a lot more practice before I'd have to fetch my siblings to tuition. I'm just glad my first time didn't end with a CRASH as I thought I would.

"Okay, let's go back for lunch."

My feet stepped out, wobbling like jelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment