Thursday, July 24, 2008

On Being An Angsanian


Random flashback to two years ago: We were sorted to our Form 4 classes. Sooi Kee, Sue Hui and Melissa were eyeing for Sub Science, while Mei Yee and I, opting for Science stream, thought we were bound to be in the same class as the names for 4 Angsana ran low. Time stopped when I heard my name. My first thought? Oh no. How am I supposed to cope in 4 Angsana all the way to 5 Angsana? It's going to be a tough journey. Perhaps it would be better with someone close to me in Form 3.

Mei Yee went to 4BR. Great.

Okay. Officially stressed out, I pictured myself breaking down amidst the competition, like a clockwork that had reached its limit. Things aren't going to be easy. Quiet, Serious and Studious were my stereotypical expectations of the class. For one, there were worries about whether I can fit in, or feel like I belong.

And then, the other side begun to unfold. It occured to me that 90%, if not all, of my classmates doubted whether they were meant to be in Angsana class. The unexpected hit them straight into the face. As did mine. And just because we enter Science Stream, our dreams may not. A lot of us share the same fear of not fitting in. Insecurity blanketed their decision to not switch classes.

Being an Angsanian. One word: Wild.

You have a bunch of people with different personalities, different interests, different dreams... and yet so much the same. Things aren't so serious here. While some of us are kind of passive, inside there are wacky people who share unforgettable moments...of burning shoes and failed experiments and competitive presentations and teachers who leave hilarous footprints in our lives. Exam-wise, there is a lot of anxiety, of course, but scratching that out, it's rather a comfort to be here. Here, things seem to go alright.
Or maybe it's just me.

Bottomline: I'm glad to be an Angsanian. Even if I do feel a little tensed at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment