Monday, April 18, 2011

Norwich Cathedral

There are so many churches in Norwich, and this is no exaggeration. I've gotten lost many times thinking that the familiar looking architecture is a landmark of somewhere I know when in fact it is a different church.

And with each step I take I am walking further down unknown territory. Now that is me being dramatic. Not exaggeration.

P1010800
Norwich Cathedral
My first visit to the Norwich Cathedral was with Amy. It's the oldest cathedral in Norwich, with a history of over 900 years and it is very well preserved. I overheard some students in a bus once (I can't help it) saying that they asked one of the tour guides about whether it is possible for the concrete structure to last throughout the centuries without getting as much as a dent. The tour guide told them that there are documents and leases to prove it. No exaggeration here.

P1010797
Lovely arches
 It looked beautiful outside and the stonewalls were so majestic.


P1010906
The inside
The second time I came to the Cathedral, Amy, Amanda and I went inside. I need not say much. Historical and sacred places normally come with aesthetic grandeur wherever it is you go. I like the stained glass pieces though.

P1010916
To commemorate those lost in wars
The third time I came was with Chiah, and this time there was a tour guide who showed us around for a bit. And it does get a lot better having someone to tell the story behind the structure, such as why there is a symbol of an eagle and a seagull and the commemorative hall to those who perished in wars. They had a plate for Malaya, shortly before the Japanese invasion as I remember.

I particularly liked it when he talked about the painting, where, in a time when all religious paintings where being destroyed, that particular one survived because it was discovered to have been disguised as a table top, with the images facing downwards.

P1010818
The outside
There is a Herb Garden outside, with a nice botanical layout.
P1010801
Herb Garden

P1010803
Herb Garden

P1010806
Herbs
There's also a private school nearby as well, and occasionally in the afternoon you can see students in elegant school uniforms strolling out with the ring of a bell.
P1010828
Back of the Cathedral

And at the back of the Cathedral, a large tree which I deem photo-worthy. Although later Amy told me it wasn't that unusual as there are trees like this everywhere. It still was a lovely spot anyway.
P1010831
Photo-worthy!
I just had to have a photo, by hook or crook. Now maybe that's exaggeration.

No comments:

Post a Comment