Monday, April 25, 2011

Chicken or Egg?

Over the past few days I've had this question embedded in my head. Why...WHY does the Easter Rabbit get all the credit and not an Easter Chicken? I mean, eggs come from chickens, don't they? Is there some sort of bunny conspiracy? I always knew that innocent looking creature has a dark side. Quite like the essay I remember writing about a sinister bunny luring Alice to Wonderland.

So which came first then? The chicken or the egg? Or might I say, the chicken or the rabbit?
Moving back to the point, it should be obvious that this is an Easter Day post. Back in Malaysia, it's not as big a celebration but it is here. So Adiba, Sara and I had our own Easter Day Celebration.
P1020356
Happy Easter!
The mint chocolate egg was a gift from my cousin, which vaguely reminds me of the egg in the fourth book of the Hogwarts series, and I made the little centrepiece above. I thought the words 'The Egg' on that hairdressing discount voucher seemed amusingly appropriate for the occasion.

P1020353
Our Easter Dinner
They came over to my place and we had a lovely dinner, mostly because of the chicken curry (I'll tell you how I got it later) along with the vegetables, egg and soup.
P1020354
Chicken Curry
Just look at it. It tasted as good as it looked too, after so long of craving spicy food. And some home-cooked food, for that matter. Besides, holidays are meant to be celebrated no matter where you are.
P1020355
Rice, Egg and Beverage
On top of that, I had an Easter egg, as I had mentioned. I tried my hands at making icing, which wasn't perfect but it tasted quite delicious. With some household innovation (ie a freezer bag) we made a pipe bag and had some fun with our dessert. Playing with food is always fun.
P1020358
Piping out the icing
It ended up with an icing flower, a bee, our initials, a turtle and a door where a chunk had chipped off.

P1020361
Sara, Adibah and Rachael :)
And right inside the chocolate egg there lies....another box of chocolate! Surprise! While we were not able to finish the whole egg, I think it's safe to say that it was a sugar-infused evening.
P1020363
Shape of a bunny!
And now to thank my family (my parents, especially) who bought these packets of spices from home and to May Ling who brought them over for me. It got me excited and provoked an immediate response to eat. Miss you all! 
P1020342
My beloved stash!
So here is my Easter account. Also, to leave nothing unanswered, I did some searching on the web and realised that the Easter bunny is actually a March hare, which is a symbol of fertility during spring (for all the biological reasons) while the egg is a symbol of renewal or rebirth. Putting them both together created this immortalised mascot of the season. Hence we solve our 'chicken and egg' question.

'HEY, RACHAEL!' You say. 'Don't you know a 'chicken or egg problem' has no definite answers?' Well... research shows that the egg has a sort of membrane that can only be produced by a chicken so the bird must have come first. And probably evolved from another animal. Like a duck, maybe.

Now that's a thought.

4 comments:

  1. Haha yup it's the best cookware I have. :D
    Cooks rice, cooks noodles, boils water, boils soup, makes porridge- a lifesaver, basically.

    LOL. I sound like a promoter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what, my friend's cooker is acting up a bit weird. Maybe I'll ask him to get that model. But wait, is that one passed down from your family or did they just buy if for you to use it at London? 'Cause the good old models are really hard to find these days. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope they got me one before I left for the UK. :)

    ReplyDelete