Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Big City

London is enormous if you compare it to Norwich. It's hard to that Norwich used to be second largest centuries ago. Anyway, I took a train down to London to meet up with May Ling, and she brought me to different places in the city to sight see! Thank you for cooking dinner, bringing me all around through the Underground, quelling my Malaysian food cravings and watching the latest Harry Potter film with me!

Speaking of the latest Harry Potter film, I was told by my film buff flatmate that this is where a Harry Potter scene was taken in the 7th movie. I believe it is when they 'Apparated' from the Weasley Wedding onto the streets. The Sanyo sign was apparently memorable.



Well, since I DID forget to look for Platform 9 and 3/4 when I arrived at King's Cross (am not pleased but it was too late) I shall have to make do with Piccadilly Circus. Besides, being such a monumental landmark, it should have been in other films as well, no?

Piccadilly Circus

Dim Sum!

We went to Trafalgar Square and it so happened that there was a demonstration on the coalition, I believe. We couldn't stay long because they were about to walk down the same street we would be taking to the next attraction. Big Ben - I must honestly say I don't find him as big as I had expected him to be. It is also near Thames River and London Eye.

Big Ben

London Eye
We stopped by several mini stalls for some desserts. Guilt trip? Maybe. But they taste so good. Close to the river was this Pancake Stall that shouted something sweet, delicious and warm.

The Christmas Lights are not entirely up yet, I was told, but I can imagine the grandeur of it. I'll be coming back down for the New Year. Do you think they will still be up?
For dinner we had Malaysian food. This was from a restaurant in Trafalgar Square. The other one we had in Leicester Square was closer to Malaysian food in terms of authenticity, though.


Here is the group picture of the four of us who went out on Saturday to watch the movie and had our meals together. And shopping.

The morning before I left, we went to Buckingham Palace to witness the changing of the guards. I gather that they are not in red as I thought they would be because of the cold. The cold that seems to have spread all over UK dramatically.
There were a lot of visitors tourists there, so the ceremony was very much in fragments of what we've seen. What I recall is the elaborate marching within the walls of the place. And for a moment, to the open street as well.
May Ling and I

Police and what he called a 'lady-mare(man)'

That aside, we went to some other places including the Green Park and St James Park, where these birds can be seen, unfazed by human contact. Leaving was slightly disheartening because it meant that my weekend was over. Now, more than ever, I will have to focus on my courseworks due before the holidays.

So how can you tell me you're lonely,
And say for you that the sun don't shine?
Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of London
I'll show you something to make you change your mind

~Ralph Mc Tell's 'Streets of London'~

No comments:

Post a Comment