Monday, June 23, 2008

"So are you going to prom?"

"So are you going
to prom?"

Everywhere, it is this that they ask. The same questions filling the conversations of most Form 5 students at every corner of the school. The big news for the next few months, spreading like wildfire by word of mouth.

"Yes." Comes the voice of enthuastics.

"No." Comes the voice of those who prefer not to, or feel financially unable to.

"So, Rachael, are you going to prom?" Ahh...the question finally thrown in.

"Hmm...maybe." I'm one of those trapped in the middle. Unsure about what would happen. Yet silently yearning to. All that is left is but a little persuasion. And I can't help but wonder, should I?

It's about a week after SPM, which means decisions must be made soon. It's after SPM, which means it's about the only time I can spend time with my friends before we go our separate ways. It's not about the money(telling myself, it's a normal pricing), they say, or the formal attire we are to relentlessly search(and for me to reluctantly wear), or the food, or the expectations people get from watching American proms(it's definitely not like what goes on screen). It's the company.

So here I am left to ponder upon the question. "You are?" Was what I got from some of my friends, their eyes wide and in surprise. Perhaps it is a rather surprising thing if I should go. Hmmm...

Yes, so I can't help but wonder yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment