Friday, February 4, 2011

On the Heartwarming

They were all eating in front of me. Each and everyone of them. Munching on their prawn crackers as I stared into the Skype live video of my family at our hometown. Obviously, the food is just as important as the other traditions that come with Chinese New Year. The table full of snacks (pineapple tarts, crackers, sweets, chocolates, biscuits, 'kuih muih' etc) stood in its usual spot.

And I glared at my family for their sudden need to open that tin and munch on prawn crackers while I looked on.

My calendar - Chinese words mean 'Spring' and 'Prosperity' respectively.
It was a great feeling to see them again even though it was only for an hour or so. I miss having the reunion dinner, showing off our new clothes on the first day, blackjack on the second, the inflow of 'ang pows' (Red packets containing money) and having almost everyone under the same roof.

Moving on to the brighter side of the sun-kissed field, the most heartwarming things come when you don't expect them. That was how I felt when the guy at the post room sieved through the mail and removed three familiar pink envelopes.

Cards pinned just by my room door.
I got cards from my immediate family, 伯 (eldest paternal uncle) and family as well as 姨 (fourth maternal aunt).  My face had a grin slapped on it as I walked back to the village that day.

Later that evening, I went for the South East Asian Society's CNY event. For three pounds we had a buffet dinner and several activities after our meal. It was not the same as being back home, but it was good to be with some company.

Food!
I will be in London this weekend to meet two of my cousins, which would explain my lack of updates over the next few days. I will do my best to update soon after I return. Until then it's time to look forward to my holiday!


No comments:

Post a Comment