Thursday, February 10, 2011

Every Woman Knows That.

Tonight I went to watch a production by the Drama Society. 'What Every Woman Knows' caught my attention in two ways. Firstly, it is written by J. M. Barrie, the brainchild of Peter Pan and secondly, the storyline sounded compelling in a feminist way.

To put it simply, the play focuses on the theory that behind every successful man (even if they think they achieved it themselves) are the fantastic women who bring them high onto the pedestal. The fact that it was set just before the women's suffrage made it all the more interesting. Or is that just me?

Ticket and Leaflet
At first the Scottish accent threw me off but I caught up after a while. The cast did an amazing job with adopting the accents for the play and any slips into the British accent were very minor. I know I won't be able to!

Apart from its contemporary language which made it easy to understand, it was extremely funny especially with those familiar little gestures. Think weak laughter when a character does not understand the other, the whimper when a guy just 'doesn't get it', the ironic chuckles, sacarstic remarks or the many ways of finding an excuse to leave the room.

 Overall it was wonderful. And the theory is true. Every women knows that. *grins*

It's the second on campus production I've gone for and this only assures me that I should go for more. Only from now onwards, Lucy, Marian and I have decided to attend the drama productions together.

Shepherd's Pie
On a slightly more self-important note, I have also perfected the Shepherd's Pie recipe, with its crust actually turning golden brown this time. Looks lovely, doesn't it? Every woman should know that. The men too.

1 comment: