Tuesday, February 22, 2011

'The Ambassadors'

Classes have been wonderful lately. I love how the university incorporated not only literature but also other forms of art into the syllabus. Two weeks ago, there was a lecture from the Visual Art Department, and many a times we would be listening to some music. For our "reading week" (technically we still have some classes) we're going to watch two movies that were made based on books on our reading list.

Here is an interesting one. This painting is called 'The Ambassadors' by Hans Holbein the Younger. We were not given a close inspection during the lecture but from what I saw online later on there are very intricate details on the painting, from the globe to the instruments on the table.


The Amassadors: Hans Holbein Pictures, Images and Photos
Disclaimer: This is owned by Photobucket.

The lecture yesterday was on how different perspectives or interpretations can change what we see in art. Before our lesson started we listened to a small section of Bach's piece played twice using different interpretations. Then when we were introduced to the painting on the slideshow (and in our handout), we were told that there are more than one way to see this painting.

On the surface, it seems to depict a celebration, with both the artistic and scientific items signifying intellect and the richness of the clothes pointing to material wealth. Sounds lovely, no?

From a different angle - you have to look at it sideways so that you are not directly looking at it (the painting should be on the right side of your head) - a skull will emerge! Which presents the 'momento mori' theme (Latin term which means 'remember we are all going to die') Not such a lovely image now, is it?

It was funny when everyone (myself included) had their handouts held beside their heads, shifting back and forth just to see an image pop out. And some got overexcited when they did see it. To be honest, it was only when someone pointed it out to me today that I saw it.

I have my mind set to see the real painting and giggle at the sight of the skull. One day.

On another note, coursework is due next week, so I better end this on a humoured note and get on with my work. Have fun looking for the skull while I stare at more essays. Maybe if I look close enough a grand idea for my essays would pop out like the skull.



No comments:

Post a Comment