Tuesday, February 15, 2011

No Sonnets Please

11.20pm

I have been told that lately my blog has been getting "boring" because I've been putting up poems that may or may not make sense. To be fair, I have my post on London ready but due to problems with the photos and my determination to procrastinate, this will have to do.

So fortunately or unfortunately for you, I'm going to post another poem up since it's Valentine's Day. Or almost at the end of it. Plus it seemed to be a trend to start composing love poems.

There were lovebirds fluttering around and stores marking up their prices severely. I, on the other hand, went for the 'Spoken Word Seduction' Open Mic event. Although I didn't perform, I went to take part in their 'Rapid Rhyming Romance' activity where you recite a poem to people one on one - something like speed dating but with poems. Generally it was to be around people who have no Valentine's Day plans and to show support.

11.37pm

Anyway, the sonnet I've written is about this: No matter how cynical you are about Valentine's Day, saying it's commercialized and all, there is always a part of you that will smile at the thought of being able to celebrate it. It took me a couple of hours today (no pun intended) to complete it. Enjoy!




Four Leaf Clover Animated Divider from FLMNetwork.com



No Sonnets Please

Go tell yourself it matters not to you.
Go brush the cards and flowers off in your
Attempt to free yourself from scams untrue
And snuff the candle of the day’s allure.
The slingshot in your bag you should resist
And in your pockets stones you must subdue
Before you knock out lovebirds with their gifts
All wrapped up in one language meant for two.
Go shake your head at prices off the roof
And things that end up in some dusty chest.
Go show that sideward glance of your reproof
Although there is one fact you’ve not confessed-
Of doves and sonnets nothing you declare
And melt inside when you should have your share.

Rachael Lum

MUSICAL ROSE Pictures, Images and Photos
Disclaimer: This image is hosted by Photobucket. and does not belong to me.

11.45pm

Happy Valentine's Day to my family and friends. This is your share.

No comments:

Post a Comment