Sunday, November 15, 2009

Why did the Chicken Cross the Road?

"You are driving a car and knocked down a chicken. What do you do?"

A penny for your thought?

Our family was left dumbfounded by my brother's Moral Studies exam question . Bringing it to the vet would sound a little more ridiculous than a cat or dog, leaving it to the side would seem as heartless as a hit-and-run, and the more realistic option to prepare a chicken dish isn't going to cut it.

We agreed on finding the owner and paying for the loss of the chicken, but lo and behold, the answer was to launch a police report.

Goodness knows how many chicken-related conversation we had over the past few days and suddenly, just yesterday night, a black chicken (in Malaysia, the Cantonese call it 'kampung gai') appeared in our driveway!

Of course, we had to stop the cats from giving the killer stare and at one point, stop one from attacking.

It gave soft clucks as it strutted around the car and hopped onto the flower pots. Someone suggested catching it for culinary purposes but it is too late to have seen it alive. You'd rather know the drumstick that the chicken, no? We finally coaxed it into going out the gate we opened. What a royal treatment to be invited out instead of being shooed!

So it was sent on its lost little way. As the poor bird walked aimlessly to the middle of the road, I heard myself utter, "Get away from the road, chicken!" It helps, though, that the neighbourhood is quiet at night. Then the Moral question flashed in my mind once again. I told my mum and all she said was "Well, we'll have to call the police then."

I do hope that chicken can find its way home safely, wherever that is. As I returned into the house, I remembered the famous cliched question, "Why did the chicken cross the road?"

My answer? It was trying to get away from the cats, and besides, our house isn't a farm...

No comments:

Post a Comment