Thursday, September 11, 2008

On Taking English Literature

I simply cannot understand it.

Why do people presume that those taking 'English Literature' are Art Stream students? Do I sound like a robot talking in scientific chants or numbers? Why is it that many assume that all I want is an extra 'A'? Do I really need a reason?

"Why do you want to take English Literature?" We were asked a year ago.

"Because," I answered, "I want to?"

So maybe you're wondering what we learn for this subject. Basically, we have to analyse four different genres of literature--- poems, novel, short stories and a play. With every word written in the essay questions, our eyes were opened to different perspectives, our minds were taught to break free from the box that held us back.

For poems, we have three sets of themes with six poems each. We get to choose one set for the exam, either conflicts, perspectives of life or relationships. Of the few novels, we took 'Holes' by Louis Sachar. Several short stories we have to read, and we'll choose one for the exam as well. The play, 'An Inspector Calls' by J.B. Priestley, was the preferred and easier choice.

Is it tough, you say? Yes...and I'm afraid of what may happen in the exam hall...but I'm coping for the moment. Perhaps you would if I told you that one must memorise six poems and long lists of quotes for each work, finish four questions (with three sub questions) within two and a half hours (it's a very short time), and about 4 to 5 pages worth of answers for 12 mark questions (the highest mark per question). The biggest pinch? During the big battle, it falls on the same day as Chinese subject (one of my heavy subjects)! ARGH!

Yes. We had to practise and practise until our brains sizzled and arms hurt. Any mental blocks would frustrate you. Run dry of facts and you'll panic. Yes. I'm afraid.

Then again, I did expect this. Our tuition class of 6 students carried different personalities. I was the only one from Science Stream. Had I not picked up this subject, I suppose we would not have known each other on a normal basis. The conversations, wild antics and views of life, too, never fail to brighten my day as weeks came with us scribbling away frantically by the table.

"It's not like any of you here want to major in English. Most of you came just for the 'A'. Am I right? You? You?" This year we were asked.

The girl said nothing. The boy said nothing. Everyone either shone a guilty smile, or said nothing.

"You too, right, Rachael?" Again with the conventional Science Stream conception.

"Actually," I said, "I'm thinking of it."

Silence. For a while. Then the scribbles continued.

If time were to rewind itself, English Literature would still be on my list. As for the time constraints to which became a liability, I'm working on it. My advice? Don't be put off by your imaginations ---go for it if English Literature calls out to you.

3 comments:

  1. Mhmm... stereotype happens. Its a sad world we live in. But Spongebob makes everything a lot better aye? I still feel bad for Hsu-Cherng...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I can only take Spongebob to a certain extent. Yea, stereotypes happen. But I guess so long as I break out of it, there's nothing anyone can do about it.

    ReplyDelete