Thursday, September 4, 2008

On Reaching the Crossroads

"What are you going to do after Form 5?"



Gulp. "Well... I'm still not that sure yet."

"Time passes fast, you know."

Yes, I know. Should I? Should I not? Every now and then, my mind wanders over the possibilities, playing back and forth like a broken record player. That crossroad, I will soon reach, and the end of it branches out to so many paths. Each breathe of the wind will only tell me that once the footstep is engraved, it is hard to turn back.

For one, I'm definitely not entering Form 6, being someone who is not too keen on the pressure of "very-important-exams" that people place too much emphasis on. Slash that off my list. ..immediately.

"So you're going to college?"

"Most probably." But even if I do, one path leads to another fork. What do I do?

Last year, there was an education fair at school, where we would glance at the options to pick from after leaving school. Being in the Science stream and yet inclined to writing and English, my heart ached when one of the representatives asked, "You're in Science Stream? But you want to take this?" And started a speech about careers in Science. To which a smile forcefully contorted on my face and my lips uttered that I wanted to walk around first, but never took a step back.

All the talks they held on accounting, biotechnology, engineering and actuary science specially, and only, for Science students left a number of us bored to tears. There was nothing beyond that. At least this years' education fair was not too bad, despite still being rather uncertain.

At least I can follow my heart. As long as I can live with it for the rest of my life, my parents said. And still confusion clouded my thoughts. Mass Comm seems rather interesting, and yet the English degree did seem like a dexterous choice, although the subjects are a little daunting. From another point of view, people remind me that it wouldn't be easy. O! Is it wrong to prefer something else from what I've first chosen out of indecision? It's not like I've missed out on a lot, or have I?

Teacher Jo from English Matters voiced her opinion on HELP or Taylor's. Both offer such degrees and hold high reputation. I suppose it'd most probably be one of these two colleges I'm entering. Just maybe.

English. Mass Comm. English. Mass Comm. Which one has better oppurtunities??

English. Journalism. English. Journalism. HELP or Taylors or somewhere else?

English. Journalism. English. Journalism. Australia or UK?

English. Mass Comm. English. Mass Comm. Need I a daisy to decide?

Most of my friends have their lives planned out. If not entirely, at least until 2010. Sigh.

"I still have some time to think it over."

"It won't be long before you finish your Form 5, you know."

"Yeah, I know."

No comments:

Post a Comment