Thursday, June 23, 2011

Nottingham News

More news on travelling! I went up to Nottingham two weeks ago to visit Chiah, and we had a great time. For lunch, she taught me how to make casserole, as you can see from the photo below. Later that day, we went for Enrique Iglesias's concert.

notts1
Casserole
Though this may come as a surprise to you, that was the first live concert I've been to. What did I think about it? Well, first thing's first, he's a good live performer, which made the experience a whole lot better. And considering how often his songs were being played, I'd say it was a fantastic first time. Most of the songs were the newer ones- 'Tonight', 'Heartbeat'- although he did perform songs like 'The Ping Pong Song' and 'Taking Back My Love'.

notts2
Concert
 'Hero' seemed to be a crowd- pleaser. Thank you, Chiah, for helping me get the tickets!

notts3

The next day, we went to Nottingham Castle where, just outside, are Robin Hood related statues.

notts4
Robin Hood's Lair
Now, just in case you are not familiar with Robin Hood, he is the famous outlaw in English folklore that resides in Sherwood Forest, Nottinghamshire. Along with his band of "Merry Men" (as I recall there's Little John and Friar Tuck), he stole from the rich to give to the poor during the reign of King John of England. Yes, if you notice, most of my knowledge on the outlaw is based on stories I've read as a child. But I don't believe many people have read the original accounts and probably only know as much as I do.

notts5

Whether or not he really existed is another matter. There are supposed historical evidence for both cases, but for the most part of it, Robin Hood's story has been passed down from generation to generation so much so that he's more of a legend than a historical figure.

notts6
Nottingham Castle Entrance
Nottingham Castle is similar to that in Norwich in terms of their modification into museums. The difference is the garden in the Nottingham Castle grounds is much bigger. It looks like a proper, well-kept part on its own. Possibly good for lazing about or studying, as Chiah noticed.

notts7
With a lovely park/garden inside

notts8
Picturesque?

notts9
Reminds me of the garden scene in 'The Sound of Music'

notts10
Lord Byron
Lord Byron was the Romantic poet and author who wrote Don Juan and close friend of the Shelleys (They had a famous "contest" among themselves one stormy night to write the best horror story. Mary Shelley won with Frankenstein).

notts11


notts12
Red Riding Hood

notts13
Tea House
Chiah brought me to a quaint little tea-house hidden away in the city called 'The Walk'. The most popular order from the menu is the tea set where you get snacks, both savoury and sweet, on a three-tier cake stand and a pot of tea. The snacks vary depending on what is available. We had tarts, scones and sandwiches that day.

notts15
Yums!
Definitely a place to look out for when you're in Nottingham.
notts16
Three-tier cake stand
Did I also mention that I adore the tiered cake stand? They give a classic vibe to desserts.

I'll be back in Nottingham another time; I'm sure of that. Hopefully I'll get to go for the Cave Tours the next time!

5 comments:

  1. Frankenstein eh? And I thought Landlady was scary...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frankenstein is awesome!! XD Scary stories are actually very fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day, I might just borrow your affinity of knowledge for good reads and get them for myself. And man, I wish I also had a library for myself haha. Nice to have a lot of books around. But like all things, book also have age so if anyone's getting a library, that person probably needs to know a really good... uh, good preservator. Or whatever the term is.

    Well, whatever it is, need to save good money before any of those dreams can come through hoho. And to have a huge library, I'd probably need a huge place to live in as well so...

    ReplyDelete
  4. *high fives* yup, I can't wait to have a library of my own too. Not sure how i'll make sure it won't age as much...but old book smells are cool too! (I think. Or maybe that's just me.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeap, they sure smell... like old books XD Well, you could always just get your favourite books all compiled and when the time comes, they will become old books one day.

    Which reminds me... aren't books similar to wine now? Oh wait, wine gets better, books... AHAHHA...ha.

    ReplyDelete