Thursday, November 3, 2011

'Halloween' Weekend on the Sunny Side of London

Now, let's see. Where shall I start? If you did notice my panicked posts on Facebook, then you would know that I had quite an eventful weekend at London, and not necessarily in good ways. It's difficult to say- they cancelled each other out and balanced the scale- I'll leave that for you to decide.

On the day I left for London, I booked a cab in advance to take me to the train station. It didn't come, so Jess brought me there. I almost missed the train by a minute; thank goodness I didn't.

I got off at London Liverpool Station and proceeded to the Underground, where I realized to my uttermost horror that my phone was not on me. Chances was that I dropped it somewhere in the station, although I couldn't rule out the possibility that someone has taken it.

Never mind about that at the time, I didn't have Pei Pei's number written down in black and white, or anyone else's for that matter! I had Charlene's name card at the time. She was at a different location in London, but I did call her using a guard's phone just in case I wouldn't be meeting someone as nice again. I found a McDonald and my first thought was- Wifi! And hence the odd capitalized messages or posts that you might have encountered on Friday. I appreciate the concerned replies, even from those who were not in the UK.

Chiah got my distress signal and Pei Pei got to me in the end.

I also lost a few other things along the way, leaving a trail of items tailing behind me all around London. As you can probably tell, I was in a pensive mood at the time.

And then something happened. Or more accurately, many things happened. A very lovely person called Adrian found my phone and decided to call a few of my contacts to get hold of me. I got the phone back the next day.

The nice guard I mentioned earlier found a book (on Freud too; is there a connection? Maybe not) I had accidentally left behind in panic when I had to leave.

On two separate occasions, two girls were so kind as to let me borrow their phones.

And something left behind in a restaurant had been kept very securely in a safe until it was claimed.

What are the odds that I can lose so many things and find them all again? In London? In reality? I don't know about you, but now I've been convinced that there are a lot of good people in the world and my faith in mankind has been restored.

My trip was okay overall. I had a relatively good time at the UKEC meeting too (the main reason I went to London). And although that weekend seemed to be some Halloween sequence for me at first, things worked out in the end.

As they should. Ordinary miracles of today.

I hope you had a good weekend.

PS. Handed in two essays today. Currently tired but satisfied.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment