Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Many Masks

The Many Masks by rachlyf
The Many Masks, a photo by rachlyf on Flickr.

One of the essays I wrote about in my Shakespeare exam was on festivity. It was a concept we studied about in class, one that explored how carnivals were associated to general disorderliness.

While I was reading up on it, many times I associated it to a prominent aspect of Italy - the Venetian masks. Made from paper mache, beautifully crafted, decked in stalls and sold in the markets of Florence.

During the 12th century, masquerades were a part of the festive culture of Venice. People dressed up in disguises and wore masks during Carnival or other holidays. Social ranks dissolved, hidden, equalized during that period of Carnival. Only during that period. Otherwise people must act normal, look normal, and adhere to law and order.

I have one. Haven't found a reason to wear it yet but it'd be nice to have one when I do.

Florence was lovely. I want to go travelling again.

No comments:

Post a Comment