Thursday, August 18, 2011

First One's the Charm

I love first times. They are the most exciting, adrenaline-pumping, endorphin-inducing moments in life. Not that I am saying I don't love second times. Or thirds (Especially if we are talking about helpings). But first times never come back and hence are charms.

Earlier this month was my youngest cousin's first birthday, the same baby that I talked about last year right here. I had not seen her for at least nine months, and how she's grown! Quite the screamer, but I'm sure with time that would change.

P1030373
Tradition
In Hokkien culture, on the first birthday, the baby will be placed before a number of items and allowed to pick three, which supposedly represents the possible types of careers that he or she would be inclined to, as well as certain personalities.

For example, if she had taken the abacus, she'll probably go for accountancy or maths. And if she'd taken the chicken drumstick, she'll love food. A red egg would represent poor results in exams. A book suggests one who loves to read or one who is studious. Money represents either a career that earns a lot of money or money-mindedness. Evidently, meanings change with each generation. As you can see, the first thing she took was a pencil, which probably means she would be able to write well.

P1030386
FOOD!
The rest remains as usual. There will always be huge amounts of food to feed the large number of mouths. And a cake to top it off at the end of the day. She was not able to eat most of them given the absence of her teeth. She did get to taste the cheese cake though, and kept staring at it while smacking her lips afterwards.

P1030410
Her first birthday cake
Here is her happiest face for the night, laughing and smiling while she waved and said "Ba-Bye" (That's baby language for Good Bye) to us. Ironic, isn't it?


P1030426
Genuine smile

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I didn't know Hokkiens did that. And I call myself a Hokkien OTL.

    ReplyDelete