Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pre-NaNoWrimo Muse

I will soon be taking part in Camp NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), a creative writing project where the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. The website validates the number of words at the end of the month and that determines whether or not you've won. In case you're wondering, it is something people undertake as a personal project. Check it out here.

People ask me why anyone would inflict it on themselves. I admit that being someone who had always been daunted by the idea of writing 1667 words a day, I'd imagine getting through NaNoWriMo would feel pretty awesome.

Plus, it will be my first time in August. When I first heard about it, it only ran in November. That is without doubt the worst time for university students to be thinking about writing novels. I wasn't keen on adding 50,000 more words on top of what I already had to write for my degree. I would have had to give up on one eventually and it would never have been the latter. Earlier last month, I was told that there are now NaNoWriMos in June and August. How could I refuse!

Also, today I did more research for my project. One of the documentaries on it made me tear up. Got me both horrified and excited. 


It's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment